Monday, September 04, 2006

Gifts that we want to keep for ourselves



Do you ever find yourself spending a lot of time making or finding a perfect gift for a beloved friend or family member and then wishing you were the one getting it? Well, as much as I love my friend Sommer, I have made a gift for her family that I seriously want to keep. I have made a committment to actually follow through and deliver it to her for her pure thrill and joy tomorrow but now I will have to make another one for our house. This growth chart was a solution to aproblem I have of being heartsick at moving away from a home that has a little space on the inside of a closet door where we marked precious inches and dates as our boys have grown taller. Sommer just had a new baby, Blake and she has another boy Carson that is 2 1/2 so I figured she might like to have this rather than another pack of onesies (although the value of those little items should not be discounted one bit!). I took some photos because I will need to remember the details one day when I get around to making another one.


What are some of your less than eager to give up gifts stories?

8 comments:

Jill said...

How did you come up with that? That's about the cutest thing I've ever seen. You're a genius. I think you could sell those for big bucks. What a great gift.

I don't think I've ever made anything remotely close to being that cool, but I have made composition books that I've given to others that I wouldn't have minded keeping.

jenny said...

That has to be one of the cutest ideas.

I have made a few quilts that I would have loved to keep, but knew it would be in good hands and that they would love them just as much as me.

Tasha said...

Jennifer! It is gorgeous! Did you layer the two with the 2 over top of each other in the smartsizer program? How did you do that? I LOVE it!!!

MM is in the mail baby! You are going to love it! Let me know when it arrives. I will send it priority.

Jana said...

Jill suggested that we look at your adorable growth chart, so here I am.

What a fabulous idea! It's so cute. You're right, I would also have a hard time giving it away. You won't have the time to make one for your family, though, because once the word gets out, all your family and friends will be wanting one, too.

Jennifer said...

I hate to admit it but I just layered these manually using the Brother fonts available on the machine plus the script on a card that came with the machine. It was really simple but it inspired a lot of ideas for future fun. I can't wait for MM and Smartsizer is already one of my favorite playthings! Thanks Tasha

michelle said...

Oh, good grief! That is the cutest thing I have ever seen! I have wanted a growth chart for years, but have never found a cute one. You have outdone yourself this time -- no wonder you wanted to keep it! You will just have to make another, I guess. Genius.

I have wanted to keep some of the quilts I have made, but I knew they would be appreciated, so that helped!

everything pink! said...

this is making me crazy. I keep looking at it over and over!
your mind amazes me!

everything pink! said...

ok i now look at this everyday because it is so great!!!